Leave-taking

"It would be good to live in a perpetual state of leave-taking, never to go nor to stay, but to remain suspended in that golden emotion of love and longing; to be loved without satiety." -John Steinbeck 

We are just 2.5 weeks away from our leave-taking, and despite the gaping carboard boxes that clutter each room of our house, the stacks of "important" papers with unclear destinations, and the seemingly endless todo list, I have to say this is a sweet time. This leave-taking time. 

At work, I am feeling valued and cherished for the work I have done and the work I won't be around to do (even if some of my colleagues are reasonably resentful). At church, I get extra hugs and blessings for safe travels. In my little neighborhood, so many sweet exchanges of well wishes and curious questions. Are the kids excited? Do you know where you will be living? Are you all ready?*

My kids are cherishing each pluot from our tree, each strawberry from the strawberry stand, and each book from our nearly bare bookshelves. They know our time is short. I too am savoring it all:  the Indian food takeout I ordered tonight, each lap of early morning swims, a visit from my dear friend, Elise. I am looking at the sky, the trees, even the sidewalks with awe and wonder. Because I know that we are leaving and that parts of this home I so very often take for granted are the very parts I will soon long for.

There are too many things to think about for packing--  how many pairs of pajamas, which shoes for which kids, puffy jackets or hoodies, how many jars of peanut butter is reasonable-- but we are just far enough out from packing that such details need not be fretted over. 

Instead, as we work on house packing, I empathize with my kids about missing out on blackberry season, trot them off to last minute swim lessons to ease my conscience, sit on the porch with the neighbor's kitty to read Hilo for the ninth time, and enjoy this beautiful place we call home. I also attend diligently to my worklist: arranging lectures, preparing orientations, prepping teaching materials, and doing my best to leave my colleagues with as robust support as I possibly can. 

At night, I upload our ridiculous numbers of photos (to preserve them from the theoretical risk of fire while we are away), download images from the web for Jonah to sketch in coming months when our internet access is less reliable, and drink tea with friends who come by to say hello before we have to say goodbye.  I cherish every second of my drought-shortened hot showers, delight in every cube of ice that magically drops from the refrigerator door, and feel deeply grateful for this present moment and this place.

Leave-taking: a state of love and longing. It certainly grants perspective.


* the answers are yes, yes, and no way

Comments

  1. Hi, Veronica... I will so enjoy reading your blog! I already am. And I can deeply relate as I'll be returning to Rwanda where I've been working with girls from SOLA (School of Leadership Afghanistan) who evacuated there last August when the Taliban took over Kabul. Just yesterday I realized I'll miss the ripe peaches on my tree. Sending you all good wishes on your big family journey, an adventure I know you will never regret.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On motherhood

The Origin Story

Sandwiched